Here is the fascinating experience of a mother of a 3 yr old whose diet consists of fruit only:
My little Fruit Fly is three years old now and radiates good health. When he was five months old he ate grated apple for the first time, but this was the only fruit he had until he was a year old. Apart from that he had only mother’s milk. At that time I, his mother, was a vegetarian and really overindulged. I contracted a breast infection and overnight I had to change my little Fruit Fly’s diet.
His first fruit meal consisted of orange juice, apples and bananas and he really enjoyed it. Surprisingly enough, it gave him no stomach ache or any other ache.
For the next three months he ate only fruit, and just as before he grew and developed beautifully. In those first fifteen months of his life he never once had an upset stomach, a cold, fever, or other illness, although he sometimes came into contact with sick children and even romped around outside in the wet Cape winter.
He did not like raw vegetables, and we let him eat just fruit. One day in October his Granny decided that he was big enough to eat “proper” food, and gave him a potato, carrots and peas, without salt and cooked just lightly. Little Fruit Fly was rather surprised at the steaming, warm objects on his plate, but being curious as all children are, he tasted it and apparently liked it. He ate the potato and two tablespoons full of carrots and peas. Half an hour later he had stomach ache for the first time in his life and started becoming feverish. And for the first time in his life his nose started running.
For the next six months he again ate only fruit. When he was a year and nine months old, we again tried to give him a cooked meal of potatoes and vegetables – once again cooked very lightly and without salt or any other seasoning. That was the second time in his life that he became ill. That convinced me that fruit was the only food for him and that all unnatural or dead things were bad for him.
When little Fruit Fly was two and a half years old he spent Christmas with his Granddad and on every second or third day he ate potatoes and squash, and was given a piece of honey cake once, plus started drinking rooibos tea with cow’s milk. After he had eaten these things for a fortnight, he started becoming feverish, the glands in his throat and around his ears swelling and he became really ill. I then gave him nothing but prickly pears to eat and after he had had a high fever for eight days, a thick, yellow blister formed just above his two front teeth, burst open and the poison of incorrect feeding was discharged. After that he was healthy again and since then he has eaten nothing but fresh fruit.
Others sometimes hand him a biscuit before we can stop them, and a day later the blister reappears above his teeth. Fortunately this has happened only twice so far. When he is given sweets, which often happens, he just plays with them, as he does not know what one’s supposed to do with them. And just as well!
I also found that mentally he is developing in a very interesting way. Could this also be because so few poisons which can cause disruption enter his body? I find that not only is his mind very receptive, but all his sense are more alive than are those of children of his age in general. He already has a grasp of figures and his memory is excellent.
Psychologically he is also developing quickly. After I had recovered from the breast infection, fasted for ten days, and afterwards lived on mainly fresh fruit, my milk returned, and after a month’s break little Fruit Fly had his glass of mother’s milk each night with his fruit meal. When he was two and a half years old, he suddenly became shy and reserved at breast feeding time, and not long afterwards he weaned himself.
His physical development is also different from that of children on the traditional diet. I think this might be because other children drink cow’s milk. A calf doubles its weight within 6 weeks after birth, which a baby only does after five months. A calf therefore has to receive enough growth hormones to enable it to be more or less fully grown within 15 months. People only reach that stage at 15 years. Could it be, I wondered, that the growth hormones a child gets from cow’s milk, promote the rapid growth of bones and make children grow faster? Does cow’s milk possibly promote the same mental development? These were questions which arose while I raised my fruit-eating baby.
Are bigger children better off than smaller children? Would little Fruit Fly have been a bigger child on another kind of diet? But would he then be as full of sparkle, have so much vitality and joy of life?
Physically little Fruit Fly is smaller than children of his age, but mentally it is another story. His arms and legs are thinner, and there is no sign of fat. Although he is growing all the time and constantly outgrows his shoes and clothes, his weight has not increased over the past year. His weight gain is the only “worrying” aspect of the diet, but when I consider that he is an exceptionally healthy, happy, intelligent and vital child, I can only think that surplus mass is not necessarily an asset. Is it not perhaps an asset to have so little mass? Is oxygen not used more advantageously in a body built and fed on a pure fuel?
Having a fruit-eating child at home is a great joy. He is never ill, never troublesome or emotional; physically and mentally he is alert and bright and I have very little trouble preparing his food.
Source: Essie Honiball, I Live On Fruit (And Nothing Else), 1989, Pretoria: South Africa